Monday, January 26, 2009

Reading of "Let Teenagers Try Adulthood"

When I read “Let Teenagers Try Adulthood” I found many different things I agreed with, but also some I disagreed with. The writer states his thesis as the American high school is obsolete and should be abolished. I do not agree with this statement. In my opinion, high school is where you start to mature and grow as a person. Yes there are cliques and people are judged, but seeing how people acted when I was in high school made me realize I did not want to be like that. I wanted to be nice and friendly with everyone. You never know one day you may work for that guy or girl you made fun of or you made need their help one day. I also do not agree with the idea he has about the schools. He says elementary school should begin at age four and end with sixth grade and high school would start with seventh grade and end at sixteen years old. Then he says those sixteen year olds need to go out into the real world. I know when I was sixteen I was immature and had no idea what things were like. I got my first job at sixteen, yes, but not a “real” job. At the age of sixteen no one is mature. I know many adults who are still very immature.
One thing I do agree with is when the writer says many opportunities have been lost by the time graduates realize what is at stake. I know many people who just got by in high school and now cannot get any scholarships so they decide they are not going to college and now regret that decision and who are starting later than their friends. Then they realize without that college degree there are not many jobs out there that pay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment